Since I have joined Maastricht University I developed my expertise in active learning pedagogy and especially Problem Based Learning (PBL). Based on smaller research projects and extensive teaching experience, my insights into PBL are based on my vast amount of practical experience and regular exchange with like-minded colleagues on aspects of learning and Higher Education.
In my research I look into the practical challenges of implementing PBL in a successful manner, its impact on students and staff. Furthermore, I am currently researching the impact of different kinds of assignments on students’ motivation and learning process.
During the past two years I have also trained colleagues within projects (Innovating Teaching and Learning European Studies) or upon invitation (Eurocollege at Tartu University, Ted University in Ankara).
- “Features of a well-designed learning task”, A conversation about how to select and present PBL tasks. Contribution to UM MOOC on Problem Based Learning (May 2015). Video available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLBAPaacwU&list=FLnERr_1qajCEo_xcbv9JPGg&index=21
- Introduction to TEMPUS Pedagogical Workshop 1: Problem-Based Learning (20 June 2014). See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1efcfSKtE&t=1s
- Design and Contribution to one-day outreach conference on the Future of European Studies within the framework of the “Innovating Teaching and Learning European Studies” project (www.inotles.eu) (19 June 2014). See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYfvO1h6Q2c&t=29s
- Heidi Maurer (2015): Best Practices in Problem-Based Learning. In: Ishiyama, John / Miller, Will / Simon, Eszter (ends). Handbook of Teaching and Learning in Political Science and International Relations, Edward Elgar Publishers. See http://www.e-elgar.com/shop/handbook-on-teaching-and-learning-in-political-science-and-international-relations
- Simon Lightfoot & Heidi Maurer (eds) (2013): Teaching European Studies: old and new tools for student engagement. European Political Science 13(1):1-3.
- Heidi Maurer & Jocelyn Mawdsley (2013): Students´ Skills, Employability and the Teaching of European Studies: challenges and opportunities. European Political Science (accepted; issue still to be assigned)
- Heidi Maurer & Christine Neuhold (2013). Problem-Based Learning in European Studies. In Stefania Baroncelli, Roberto Farneti, Ioan Horga & Sophie Vanhoonacker (eds). Teaching European Union Studies. Patterns in Traditional and Innovative Teaching Methods and Curricula.
- Heidi Maurer & Christine Neuhold (2012). Problems Everywhere? Strengths and Challenges of a Problem-Based Learning Approach in European Studies. Paper presented at the Higher Education Academy Social Science Conference “Ways of Knowing, Ways of Learning” 28 and 29 May 2012, Liverpool