My current project “European Diplomacy Practices post-Lisbon: Adding Value through Cooperation” examines how, why and with what effect European Union member states cooperate in international affairs. Departing from a foreign policy analysis perspective and my institutional EU politics expertise, this project aims to explain and understand the added value of European diplomatic cooperation in third countries. It asks how, if at all, increased European cooperation in third countries has impacted European foreign policy-making. In doing so, my research seeks to suggest ways in which the effectiveness and legitimacy of the emergent European diplomatic system might be strengthened, especially in times when changing strategic and geopolitical contexts challenge Europe’s role in the world. In addition, my research aims to shed light on the adapting self-understanding of EU member states in EU foreign policy cooperation, the impact of globalisation, crisisification and populism on this self-understanding.
Work in Progess (please get in touch if you are interested to discuss any details)
- Understanding the added value of European diplomatic coordination: a social network analysis – methodological chapter of book manuscript; to be presented at ECPR 2021 conference
- European diplomacy as a relational network of diplomatic practices – conceptual chapter of book manuscript
- European Diplomacy: networked cooperation practices beyond nation states – book proposal
- Heidi Maurer & Jost-Henrik Morgenstern-Pomorski (2018). The Quest for Internal Legitimacy: The EEAS, EU delegations and the contested structures of European diplomacy. Global Affairs, 4(2-3), 305-316.
- Federici Bicchi & Heidi Maurer (special issue eds) (2018). European cooperation abroad: European diplomatic cooperation outside EU borders. The Hague Journal of Diplomacy 13(1).
- Heidi Maurer (2015): An upgraded EU delegation in a reinforced system of European diplomatic coordination: insights from Washington. In Spence, David, and Batora, Jozef (eds). The European European External Action Service: Diplomacy post-Westphalia. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Heidi Maurer & Kristi Raik (2014): Pioneers of a European Diplomatic System: EU Delegations in Moscow and Washington. Analysis Brief No. 1 of the Finnish Institute of International Affairs (FIIA). Accessible at http://www.fiia.fi/en/publication/415/pioneers_of_a_european_diplomatic_system/
- Heidi Maurer (2013): Transforming European diplomacy abroad: insights from Washington. Global Actor Interest Section Contribution. EUSA Review of June 2013.